Friday, October 6, 2017

Review: Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Series: Burn for Burn #1
Publication Date: September 18th 2012
Publisher: Simon and Schuster 
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Paranormal
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ TBD

Synopsis: Postcard-perfect Jar Island is home to charming tourist shops, pristine beaches, amazing oceanfront homes—and three girls secretly plotting revenge.

KAT is sick and tired of being bullied by her former best friend.

LILLIA has always looked out for her little sister, so when she discovers that one of her guy friends has been secretly hooking up with her, she’s going to put a stop to it.

MARY is perpetually haunted by a traumatic event from years past, and the boy who’s responsible has yet to get what’s coming to him.

None of the girls can act on their revenge fantasies alone without being suspected. But together…anything is possible.

With an alliance in place, there will be no more “I wish I’d said…” or “If I could go back and do things differently...” These girls will show Jar Island that revenge is a dish best enjoyed together.

My Rating
4/5 stars

My Review
“This is Karma. I'm a bitch. Can you think of anyone who deserves a bitch slap?" 

Three girls, all seeking revenge on people who wronged them. The only way they can truly achieve the best revenge is if they work together. When the bad girl, the cheerleader and the new girl come together, all hell breaks loose as they seek their revenge.

Burn for Burn is a lovely quick read. The characters will touch your hearts and the plot line will have you falling off your chair.

I honestly don't know which character I liked more. While I liked Mary, she wasn't my favourite, thats for sure. But I really loved both Kat and Lillia. Kat is the badass girl that everyone envies, she's not afraid to do anything and is so loyal and strong that you can't help but fall in love with her good side. Lillia is basically the girl I've always dreamed of being, she's smart, kind and rich. Her love for her sister was so wonderful, I really admire Lillia's character.

I loved that the story was a bit on the shorter side, it doesn't take very long to finish. Even though its short, the authors created some twists throughout the book that will make you want to finish the book in one sitting. I loved the climax of the story and how it ended, it was so wonderfully written.

The one aspect I didn't really like about the story, was the paranormal aspect. I was expecting this book to be more of a contemporary read going into it, and to my surprise one of the characters has some sort of magical powers. While I normally love that type of thing in stories, it seemed very forced and not well written in this story. Every time I came across it I couldn't help but cringe. Hopefully either the writing is better or there are some changes made to make the paranormal aspect a bit more interesting.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story, the characters were great and the plot was unpredictable. I can't wait to see what happens to the characters next.

Happy Reading,
Aneta

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun October read. Revenge and possibly unnecessary paranormal ability. Great Review! I might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed Burn For Burn. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while now and I was debating on whether I would pick it up or not. Your review is exactly what I needed to finally decide that I have to read it sooner rather than later! Thanks for sharing!

    Elena @ Book Lady's Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...