Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Review: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Series: Legacy of Orisha #1
Publication Date: March 6th 2018
Publisher: Henry Holt books for Young Readers
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ TBD

Synopsis: Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zelie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls. 

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were targeted and killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now, Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good. 

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for the enemy.

My Rating
5/5 stars

My Review
“I won't let your ignorance silence my pain” 
Children of Blood and Bone is fantastic, breathtaking and made me fall in love, laugh and cry all within a few pages. I honestly can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this book.

Zelie's mother was taken from her family and murdered by the monarchy along with the rest of the population that could perform magic. Zelie now trains with her staff for a time when the king comes to murder her next. When Zelie's father almost dies trying to earn enough coin to pay for Zelie's tax, Zelie and her brother Tzain, take it upon themselves to travel to Legos to earn more money, but when Zelie leaves the city she not only brings with her a big purse of gold, but also a runaway princess, a magic scroll and a price on her head. As Zelie, Tzain and Amari try to escape with the scroll, Inan, Amari's brother and the prince of Orisha will stop at nothing to bring back his sister and the scroll, and kill the girl that's betrayed her King.

Honestly, this book was so wonderful that I cant find anything to complain about. All four of the main characters were all so different and unique, and while I necessarily didn't love all of them, I definitely was interested enough to read in their point of views and see where the story takes them next. I absolutely loved Zelie and Amari right from the beginning, they are polar opposites at the beginning of the book, but they both have such amazing character development throughout the story. They are relatable, strong and fierce women, I love them both. I loved Tzain just as much as the girls, he is such a kind person and a wonderful brother. Inan on the other hand was not the best, I thought he was very childish and ignorant at times, and while he had his moments where his story was interesting and it almost seemed like he was going to become a good character, in the end I just wasn't that impressed with his character.

The relationships in this book were great. I absolutely love the relationship Zelie has with her brother, they fight, they pull pranks on one another, but in the end they would do anything for each other and care about one another immensely. They truly felt like a real family, and it made me wish that I had a brother and a relationship like this. The romance between Amari and Tzain was also fantastic. They have a sweet, slow burning romance that brings joy to your heart when you read their story. You can just tell that they will make a wonderful couple in the future.

The plot of the story was absolutely perfect. There was action right from beginning to end. The story definitely keeps you on your toes, as there were many instances where something happened that I never would have expected, it made the story change quickly and kept the reader guessing what will happen next.

Surprisingly, as much as I loved this story, I loved the author's note even more. I rarely read the author's note, but I am so glad that I did this time. The author links the fictional world that she created to the real world, and lets just say that what she wrote made me cry. If you're reading this book or you've already finished it and missed the author's note, I definitely suggest giving it a look through.

Overall, this book was amazing. I have no bad words about it. I definitely recommend this book to all young adults and even adults, whether you like fantasy or contemporary, this book is such an important read that I think everyone can find something about it that they will love.

Happy Reading,
Aneta 

1 comment:

  1. I've been super curious about this book, so I'm thrilled to see that you loved it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Awesome review :)

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...