Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Review: Blood Red Snow White by Marcus Sedgwick

Publication Date: October 25th 2016
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Genre: YA, Historical Fiction
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: Russia wakes from a long sleep and marches to St Petersburg to claim her birthright. Her awakening will mark the end for the Romanovs, and the dawn of a new era that changed the world. Arthur Ransome, a journalist and writer, was part of it all. He left his family in England and fell in love with Russia and a Russian woman. This is his story.

My Rating:
2/5 stars

My Review: 
“There never was a story that was happy through and through.” 

If you're expecting a cute fairytale story, this is not the book for you.

I was really disappointed with myself after starting this book. Based on the cover and the short synopsis provided, I really did think that this book was about Russian fairytales. And I was right about the first 25% ish about the book. After the original beginning, the story dives into the history of Russia during World War I.

Usually I find the first part of books extremely boring, but this book was the exact opposite. The fist few chapters are filled with fun Russian stories, there's a story about a grandfather in a cabin with two little kids, the story of Rasputin, and the story of the Russian Bear. I really enjoyed the first part, I couldn't put my book down at this point. But once you hit part two, the story shifts into basically a history lesson on Arthur Ransome, and what was happening to Russia at the time.

I am a huge fan of Historical Fiction, but based on my past I tend to be a little biased with Russian history, so you can imagine how 'ecstatic' I was once the book started getting into the history lesson. I won't comment further on the history, just know that if you are Russian, or enjoy Russian history, then this is the book for you, if not then don't bother opening it.

I was so happy with the beginning of this book, if it continued in that style I would have loved to continue reading, but unfortunately it turned into something I despised. I really do recommend it to all historical fiction fans, especially if you like Russian history. If you do decide to give this book a chance, I hope that you enjoy it.

Happy Reading,
Aneta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...