Monday, August 1, 2016

The Assassin Game by Kristy McKay

Publication Date: August 2nd 2016
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Genre: YA, Mystery 
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ B&N

Synopsis: Who will be left after lights out?

At Cate's isolated boarding school, Killer is more than a game- it's an elite secret society. Members must avoid being "Killed" during a series of thrilling pranks, and only the Game Master knows who the "Killer" is. When Cate's finally invited to join the Assassins' Guild, she know it's her ticket to finally feeling like she belongs.

But when the game becomes all too real, the school threatens to shut it down. Cate will do anything to keep playing and save the Guild. But can she find the real assassin before she's the next target? 

Originally published in the United Kingdom by Chicken House in 2015 under title: Killer game.

My Rating: 3/5 stars

My Review: "You're Next!" 

A very slow start, but worth the wait.

It took me a very long time to get into the book. If this was a book I borrowed from a friend or the library I probably would have given up. I still gave it a chance and was sort of glad I did. The action and my interest in the book didn't happen until 57% into it, which is pretty far for a mystery novel.

The mystery itself in this book was pretty good, I had a feeling on who the killer was but there were also many other suspects. The book definitely keeps you guessing which was fantastic.

Cate was an alright main character. She's very normal, so shes easily relatable, but there was nothing special about her. There just wasn't anything about her that made me absolutely love her and actually care about her story. 

The other characters in the book were alright too, I thought I was going to like her roommate Marcia, but we didn't end up hearing much from her later in the book, which I thought was a shame. We see a lot of the characters here and there, but we don't really get enough information to get to know them or love/hate them.

I really loved the setting of the story. It's very isolated and a bit spooky which makes it really interesting. 

Overall, I would still recommend this book if you're in the mood for a good mystery, but keep in mind that it is very slow at the beginning, so read at your own risk.

Happy Reading,
- Aneta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...