Saturday, November 23, 2013

Super Six Sunday - Super 6 Books I’m Thankful I Took A Chance On

Super Six Sunday is an original bookish meme hosted at Bewitched Bookworms and inspired by “Top Ten Tuesday” from The Broke and The Bookish. You can see the weekly schedule of themes here.

Here are my picks


Flowers in the Attic
by V.C. Andrews

This is a very old book. As you could probably tell by the cover. Well I'm really thankful I took a chance on this book, because even though it was really weird, it pretty much was the reason why I started reading in the first place. This book is about 4 children, 2 brothers and 2 sisters that are forced to live in an attic for a very long period of time. Like I said before, this book is pretty messed up, meaning that there is incest, grandmothers trying to poison little kids, and slutty mothers. 
For some strange reason I got really into this series (Don't ask me why, I'm kind of embarrassed.) I read this in like grade 7 or 8. And if you keep reading this post, you'll see why it got me into reading.







City of Bones
By Cassandra Clare

Who hasn't read this amazing series? I honestly think everyone has. Well I came across it in grade 9, when we had to do a book report, and I just so happened to do mine on Flowers in the Attic (The book above) and this girl from my class came up to me after and told me to read this book, since I didn't mind reading about brother and sister being together. At first I was like "Hell no! I don't want to read another book like that!" But I decided to start reading that summer, and I decided to take a chance on this series. I'm sure you know what happens next. I fell in love with this series by the first chapter (no joke), and I was hooked. 
After finishing this book, I entered the amazing world of Fantasy YA books, and its led me here today. I am so glad I took a chance on this series, Most because otherwise, I wouldn't have started reading, and I wouldn't have so many amazing friends that love books.



Divergent 
By Veronica Roth

After reading the Matched books by Ally Condie. I wasn't that impressed with Dystopian novels. Everyone kept telling me to read this book, but I didn't know if I would like it, and the cover wasn't that appealing to me at first. But after seeing all the amazing reviews this book got. I decided to take a chance and see how this book was. I instantly fell in love with it, and Four <3 
I am so thankful I read this book, without it, I probably wouldn't have started reading dystopian books, and I would have definitely missed out on some pretty awesome books. 
And I definitely wouldn't be as excited as I am right now for the movie to come out. Have you guys seen the trailer? It played in the theater and I screamed when it came on... I think the girl beside me almost punched me for that... 




Masque of the Red Death
by Bethany Griffin

I love love love this cover. When I saw it I was like "damn this looks good." But when I read the description and reviews about this book, I saw that the main character Araby, has depression and occasionally has suicidal thoughts. I was immediately turned off, I don't like reading books about characters like that, mostly because of my personal life. I wont go into detail but I used to help a few people who were depressed, and as much as I loved helping them, it definitely changed me as a person and I realized that it made me less optimistic, so I decided to leave that area of my life. 
But I read this book anyways, and ended up loving the scene and the love triangle. And as it turns out, there's not many parts where the main character is talking about her previous problems, so its pretty easy to forget because of all the action that's going on.




Obsidian 
by Jennifer L. Armentrout

First of all, I want to thank my friend Kelly for introducing me to this series. She had to beg me to read this for a good half a year. I just didnt think it would be that good, the cover wasn't very appealing to me when I first saw it, and a book about aliens? It just seemed really weird.
But one day, I couldn't take her nagging anymore, and I decided to read it just to shut her up.
After the first chapter or two, I knew I was going to love this book. It was so gooooood!!
I am so glad I took a chance on this series, I would have definitely missed out an amazing series, and a super hot alien boyfriend. I wish I could have Daemon all to myself.
And from now on, I promise not to be speciesist (Is that even a word? Like racist but for species?) Because even weird species can turn out to be pretty hot!



Sekret
by Lindsay Smith

I usually don't venture outside my little circle filled with Fantasy and Dystopian books. But I decided to take a big step and read a book about Russian Spies. Why not right?
I was surprised at how much I loved this book. I didn't realize that Russian was so close to Polish (my first language). I could understand most of the words that were said in Russian. 
This book was so good, I loved the characters and the love triangle.

Thanks for reading my Super Six Sunday post! Feel free to leave a link to your Super Six Sunday in the comments below :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...